Church records - diocesan, archdeaconry and parish
Diocesan and Archdeaconry records (Ref: D/A/...) include:
- faculties (indexed).
- dedications of churches.
- inventories of church property.
- church inspections.
- wills, 1483-1858 (indexed)
- Parish records (Ref: PR ...) include:
- registers of baptisms, marriages and burials (from 1538). See our online Parish registers list for more details of our holdings.
- vestry minutes.
- churchwardens' accounts and papers.
- overseers of the poor (pre-1834).
- surveyors of the highways.
- incumbent's papers.
- parish magazines.
- charities (see also below)
- schools (see also below).
Boards of Guardians, (Poor Law Unions) 1834-1930 (Ref: G/...)
Records of the authorities who administered poor relief when the duty passed from the parishes in 1834. Records are held from each of the eight Unions which covered most of the county; to check which Union a particular parish was administered by, see Dictionary of Unions and Parishes in England and Wales, 1881 on the search room shelves. Original records include:
- minute books of each Union and some committees.
- records from Slough and Winslow workhouses (some of which are subject to 100 year closure period.).
- parish councils
- council records from 1894-1974 (Ref: DC/... and MB/...) include:
- rating records.
- minute books.
- burial boards and cemetery records.
- housing files and some planning records (early 20th century).
Records from Parish Councils, from 1894, (Ref: PR...) include:
- minute books.
Quarter Sessions records, 1678-1971, include:
- land tax assessments, 1780-1832 (Ref: Q/RPL/...)
- licensed victuallers registers, 1753-1828 (Ref: Q/RLv).
- registered dissenting meeting houses, 1689-1841 (Ref: QS/W/...)
- calendars of prisoners, 1786-1971 - 30 year closure (Ref: Q/SC ...)
- gaol receiving books, 1870-1878 and chaplain's character books, 1853-1876 (Ref: Q/AG/...).
- numerous classes of records relating to the administration of the County, prior to the formation of the council in 1889.
Education records (may be subject to 30 or 100 year closure, as directed in the catalogue.)
Catalogues are arranged alphabetically by school, for ease of reference. The records include:
- log books (Ref: E/LB/...)
- admission records (Ref: E/AR/...)
- school plans (usually from 1903)
Minute Books of the council's Education Committee (from 1903) are listed in a separate catalogue, by accession number. Earlier records of schools administered by the church (parish) authorities can be found in the records of the relevant parish (Ref: PR...).
Records of specific local charities, such as:
- Wycombe Royal Grammar School (Royal charter granted 1562) deeds and documents, c.1200-1946 (Ref: CH 1...)
- Stoke Poges almshouses, c.1344-1993 (Ref: CH 7 ...)
- Queen Anne's Hospital, Newport Pagnell, 1604-1994 (Ref: CH 15 ...).
- Thomas Hickman's Charity, Aylesbury, established 1699, documents and papers, 1842-1965 (Ref: CH 24 ....)
- Colnbrook Town Houses Charity, 1612-c.1936 (Ref: CH 35 ....)
Records of further charitable funds and trusts deposited and catalogued separately can be found using the indexes and Lists of Accessions.