Freedom of Information
1. Freedom of Information Act 2000
You have the right to ask any public authority for recorded information it has about any subject.
Before you ask us for information
Check our website
Before asking us for information please check our website and datasets page to make sure it isn't already there.
If you ask for information that is already available, we will direct you to the relevant page on our website.
Some types of information are not held by us, but by the local district councils, including information on bin collections, council tax, licensing, pest control, leisure centres, public health funerals and business/commercial rates.
Think about the information you want
Try to be as specific as possible about the information you want. If you are not sure ask us for advice.
If your query relates to a specific school then please note that schools are also public authorities in their own right for the purposes of FOI and so information specifically about schools may be held by them rather than the County Council.
The Information Commissioner has guidance on making a request.
How to ask us for information
Types of information request
You can request the following types of information:
Information about you - This type of request comes under the Data Protection Legislation.
Information about other people - These requests can come under different pieces of legislation depending on the context of the request.
Other information - These requests come under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) 2000 or the Environmental Information Regulations (EIR) 2004.
To ask us for information:
Write to us, including by letter, email or e-form, and include:
- Your full name.
- Your home or email address.
- A description of the information you want - make sure your request is clear and specific otherwise it may be delayed.
- tell you if we hold the information you have requested, except in very limited situations
- tell you if the information will be published in the future
- tell you if we think a different authority holds the information
- offer you advice and assistance if appropriate
- provide you with the information if we hold it and no exemptions to disclose apply.
What we won't do:
- We do not have to create new information or provide an opinion to answer your request.
- We will generally respond within 20 working days and won't charge for the information unless it is a very large quantity of information and you want the information by hard copy (over 50 sheets of A4 size paper). Where a fee is charged it will generally relate to the costs of postage and photocopying (we charge 10p per A4 black and white sheet – more for colour and other size items).
Unhappy with our answer?
If you are not happy with our response or anything about the process you can ask for an internal review.
To do this, contact the Freedom of Information Team at:
Buckinghamshire County Council
Following our internal review you have the right to seek a further evaluation from the Information Commissioner's Office:
Telephone: 01625 545 745
Last updated: 14 June 2019