3. Council Tax

Paying your Council Tax

You will need to contact your district council to:

  • pay your Council Tax
  • register for Council Tax if you are new to the area
  • appeal your Council Tax bill
  • request information about discounts


What does your Council Tax pay for?

Your Council Tax helps pay for vital services. This includes education, caring for people in need, maintaining the road network, and protecting our environment. It also pays for services at district and town or parish level, as well as supporting the emergency services such as the fire service and the Police. The money raised though Council Tax is shared out between the following authorities:

  • The County Council
  • Your District Council
  • Buckinghamshire & Milton Keynes Fire Authority
  • Thames Valley Police and Crime Commissioner

Parish or Town Councils in some parts of Buckinghamshire


Council Tax revaluation

The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) is responsible for assessing all domestic properties in England and Wales and placing them in the appropriate banding for council tax purposes. The Council Tax revaluation in England has been postponed. More information can be found on the DCLG website.

You can contact your local Valuation Office by telephone on 03000 501 501.

Print entire guide

Last updated: 15 July 2019

Was this page helpful?

Very poor
Neither good nor poor
Very good