Specific risks

10. Power outages

If there is a power supply disruption to your home you will need to notify the power distributor so they are aware of the extent of the problem. This may be difficult if you have a digital home phone. Therefore it is advisable to keep an analogue phone (one which plugs straight into the phone socket and doesn`t need another power source) as a backup or use a mobile phone or the internet via battery powered computer. The companies contact details should be on your bill.  (Please note that this may well be a different company to that which supplies your electricity and to whom you pay your bills).

In Buckinghamshire there are three Power distribution companies. Covering part of the north of the county is Western Power Distribution. Covering part of the south of the county is Scottish and Southern Energy and covering the remaining area is UK Power Networks. All three companies have the facility to check about, and notify them of, a power cut on their websites.

There is a generic, national number for reporting power cuts, faults or emergencies - 105.

Western Power Distribution
0800 6783 105 for faults and emergencies (or 105)

0800 096 3080 for all general enquiries

Follow on twitter @wpduk  

UK Power Networks
0800 31 63 105 or 105
Follow on twitter @UKPowerNetworks

Scottish & Southern Energy
0800 072 7282 or 105

Follow on twitter @ssencommunity

Additionally, if you think you may need extra care or support during a power cut then you should sign on to their Priority Services Register. Although, this doesn’t necessarily mean that they can get your power back on more quickly, it does mean that they will offer you additional help and support, and could involve a visit from the RVS or Red Cross, if the power will be out for some time, to make sure that you are ok.

Who can sign up for the Priority Services Register?

  • Customers who are dependent on medical equipment
  • Customers who are chronically sick
  • Customers with a disability
  • Customers who are blind or visually impaired
  • Customers with young babies
  • Elderly customers
  • A nursing or residential home
  • Any other case that you would like to be considered

Use the links below to register.

Western Power Distribution Priority Services

UK Power Networks Priority Services

Scottish & Southern Energy Priority Services 
Or call S&SE Careline on 0800 294 3259

Print entire guide

Last updated: 21 August 2019

Was this page helpful?

Very poor
Neither good nor poor
Very good