Young carers are:
- 5-18 years old
- Caring for a family member with a physical or mental illness, disability, drug or alcohol addiction.
The person cared for may be a parent, sibling or other relative living in the same household.
Young carers are not:
- Paid workers in residential homes
- Childminders for siblings where there is no illness, disability or substance misuse in the family
Young Carers Bucks can offer:
- Regular meetings and outings for three age groups
- Two family events a year
- One to one support when needed or wanted
- Someone to talk to who understands
- Quarterly newsletter written and edited by young carers
- Access to Carers Grant money for individual breaks
- Forum groups for older young carers who volunteer
What young carers say about the support they have received:
- Gave me back my confidence
- It's fun
- I can speak to a support worker if I need some help, advice or just someone to talk to
- Meet new friends and have a laugh
- Everyone is friendly and I like going on outings
- It has given me the opportunity to meet people in a similar position to me. I have lots of new friends and taken part in lots of different activities.