Looked after children

7/1/2021 12:35:29 PM

11. When you leave care

Care leavers local offer  

Leaving care is a big step and we want to make sure that you feel supported and know where and who to come to for advice and help.

We provide support and guidance to help care leavers prepare for adulthood and independent living. This includes:

  • advice and support from a Personal Adviser
  • leaving care before turning 18
  • accommodation
  • education, employment and training
  • going to University
  • health and wellbeing
  • finance, grants and loans

Find out what support and guidance is available to you if you've left or about to leave care by reading our care leavers local offer 2020


Support when you leave care

When you are 16 and 17

We will provide you with money to cover your basic needs, ie funding for accommodation, weekly allowance (for food, phone credit, toiletries etc) clothing allowance, as well as birthday and Christmas/festivals gifts.

Dependent on your circumstances you may also be entitled to help with:

  • Education/training or employment costs
  • Health and counselling needs
  • Leisure activities
  • Important documents ie birth certificate, passport
  • Contact with family and other important adults in your life
  • Incentive payments

When you are 18

If you are 18 years old and about to leave foster care or a children’s home, you may be eligible for leaving care services. 

You will be eligible if:

  • you have been in care for 13 weeks from the age of 14 and are still in care aged 16-17
  • you have left care and are aged 16 or 17
  • you are aged over 21 years and you enroll on a higher education course you may be eligible for leaving care support up to the age of 24

It is important to talk to your Personal Advisor about the allowances that may be available to you and what your responsibilities are when receiving them.


Contact information

The Leaving Care Team

Email: leavingcareteam@buckinghamshire.gov.uk

Print entire guide

Last updated: 1 July 2021

Was this page helpful?

Very poor
Neither good nor poor
Very good