Looked after children
5. Leisure and positive activity card in Buckinghamshire
The leisure and positive activity card is for 6-17 years old children and young people in care and those in receipt of aftercare services. This is a pre-paid, top-up card which can be used to buy leisure or activities that are part of this scheme, like:
- Sports courses
- Leisure centres
- Dance and drama classes
- And many more activities
This is how your card will look:
How do you get one?
You don't need to do anything to enrol in this scheme! You will automatically be offered this card from the information you have already given to Buckinghamshire County Council. If you don’t want to take part, speak to your Social Worker or Personal Advisor and they will opt out of the scheme on your behalf.
The card will have your name on it, which Buckinghamshire County Council will have provided to Wirecard along with a unique reference number. The card will look like just like a normal debit card with a chip and pin.
At the start of each month £15 (depending on the money available from the government) will automatically be put onto the card. At the end of each month any money you haven’t spent will be carried over into the next month, however you need to spend all the money on the card by the end of 31st March 2011 after which the money will return to the Council.
The leisure / positive activity card will help young people and carers by:
- encouraging Children &Young People to take part in more positive activities
- providing funds for young people to take part in activities they cannot currently afford
- providing a safe way to carry money using the Chip and PIN card
- controlling where the money is spent
- encouraging young people to take up new activities and interests
- improving young people’s health and social skills
- providing greater equality
- teaching money management skills
Last updated: 9 October 2017