Skip to main content

Looked after children

1. Looked after children

It is not always possible for parents to meet the needs of their child and we sometimes have to arrange for children and young people to live away from their birth family. 

To help us decide what kind of care your child needs, we will carry out an assessment, which will include your views and those of your child if they are able to understand. These are some of the ways children come into care;

  • A voluntary arrangement between the parents and the local authority, known as being 'accommodated'
  • Coming into police protection
  • Being subject to a court order, such as an Emergency Protection Order, a Care Order or being remanded in criminal proceedings

Children can be looked after by:

  • Living with friends or relatives (kinship care), with our agreement
  • Living with foster carers
  • Living in a children's home
  • Living in a boarding school (though not all children in boarding school are looked after by us)
  • Living at home while on care orders made by the courts.

Short breaks

We sometimes provide children with a series of short breaks away from their homes (also known as respite). This does not mean your child is looked after unless these breaks add up to more than 75 overnight breaks in any year and you agree that your child should become looked after (accommodated).

Print entire guide

Last updated: 9 October 2017

Help us to improve Buckinghamshire County Council

Don't include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.