Skip to main content

Where I can live

2. What are my options?

1. Staying with your foster carers

If you are living with your foster carers and are either in education, training or working, you might have the option to stay where you are until you are 21.

Your foster carers will continue to help you, but it is a bit more like being a lodger and you will need to pay them rent, as well as contribute to your meals and general upkeep. The Leaving Care Service will help you to sort this out. During this time your foster carers will teach you the skills you will need to live independently.  View the Staying put information leaflet.

Top tip: Go food shopping with your foster carers to learn how much it costs, what kinds of things to buy and how to get value for your money.

2. Independent living

This could either be a council or housing association flat, or accommodation rented from a private landlord. However, it's quite difficult for someone aged 18 or 19 to be offered a council/housing association flat, so it's more likely you will end up renting from a private landlord.

Depending on what suits you best, you can usually find either your own space in a shared house or a self-contained flat. Sometimes groups of friends can rent a house together, which can cut costs down.

If you decide to live independently you will be fully responsible for paying the rent, as well as council tax, the water, gas, broadband and electricity bills, and TV license. It's important to keep on top of bill payments, so speak to your PA if you need any help organising your money. Sites such as uSwitch are useful for finding the best deals on everything from mobile phones to broadband.

You could also find that you are suddenly responsible for doing your own washing, cleaning your house, shopping and cooking your food. There are lots of online resources to help you out if you are not sure about anything, including some great videos on YouTube. You can also ask your PA if you have any questions.

If you are not working once you are 18 you might be able to claim benefits. This can cover the cost of accommodation and some of your council tax.

Top tip: Make sure you keep all important documents, such as your tenancy agreement, ID, bills, P45, P60 and bank account information safe. If you have to throw away anything with your personal details on, make sure you shred it first.
Top tip: Find out whether you can set up a direct debit with your bank to pay some of your bills. This means you don't have to remember to do it every month, but just make sure you have enough money in your account!


Print entire guide

Last updated: 18 December 2018

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK

Was this page helpful?

1 star
Very poor
3 stars
Neither good nor poor
5 stars
Very good