Skip to main content

What to do after school

3. Sixth form or college

You have to stay in education until you are 18, so after you have taken your GCSEs you can choose either sixth form or college.

Sixth Form

If you decide on sixth form, you have the option at staying on at your current school to take A levels. Sixth form also offers vocational skills and other qualifications. To search for a list of sixth forms and courses in Buckinghamshire, visit


College offers you a slightly different environment, where you will be expected to be independent in your learning – a bit more like university. College offers a wider range of courses and will have more specialist facilities. To search for a list of colleges in the Buckinghamshire area, visit

Print entire guide

Last updated: 4 October 2017

Was this page helpful?

1 star
Very poor
3 stars
Neither good nor poor
5 stars
Very good
Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK