Skip to main content

What to do after school

4. Going to University

Many of the care leavers in Buckinghamshire have gone on to study at university and gain degrees in all sorts of subjects, and we are really proud of the achievements they have made. If you would like to go to university you will need to do the following:

  • Before anything else apply for a place through UCAS. The UCAS website is also full of really useful information for students
  • Research what different universities have to offer. University websites should contain information on their student life, accommodation, and sometimes they offer extra support for young people who have left care, such as extra bursaries
  • Open a student bank account. These accounts often have benefits such as interest-free overdrafts
  • Apply online for your Tuition Fees Loan and Maintenance Loan. You can apply for both of these by visiting¬†GOV.UK - Student Finance¬†
  • Discuss your plans early with your PA and find out how they can support you.
Print entire guide

Last updated: 4 October 2017

Was this page helpful?

1 star
Very poor
3 stars
Neither good nor poor
5 stars
Very good
Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK