Managing my money
3. Keeping your money safe
There are some simple steps you can take to make sure your money stays safe:
- Never give your bank cards or PIN number to anyone
- Make sure you shred any letters containing your details before you throw it away
- If you receive an email or phone call from an individual or company asking for money, do not give out any of your details. Sometimes fraudsters will even pretend to be from your bank. If you are unsure whether the call was genuine, go to your bank and let them know what happened
- Make sure you have suitable antivirus protection on your computer
- Do not use public Wi-Fi when doing your online banking as this is not always secure
- When logging on to your online account or before paying for anything online, check for a 'https' and a padlock symbol in the browser bar
- Make sure you have a strong password and PIN for your online banking and don't share these with anyone
- Check your bank statements to make sure there are no unusual transactions. If there is anything you don't recognise, report it to your bank immediately.
Print entire guide
Last updated: 4 October 2017
Is there anything wrong with this page?