Skip to main content

Disabled children and young people

4. Financial help

Children who are sick or disabled may qualify for financial benefits through the Department for Work and Pensions.

Applying for financial help can be long and complicated. We may be able to help or you could telephone the Department for Work and Pensions on any of the telephone numbers provided in the links below ask for claims forms and advice about completing them.

The benefits most commonly awarded are:

  • Disability Living Allowance (For Children) - under 16 years of age. The benefit is awarded on the basis of how much additional care your child needs, or walking difficulties your child has because of their illness or disability. It is not means tested. See GOV.UK - Disability living allowance children
  • Personal Independence Payment - for young People 16 years and over who have care needs or mobility issues. See GOV.UK - Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Employment & Support Allowance - Young people over the age of 16 years may be eligible for Employment & Support Allowance in addition to Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment. See GOV.UK - Employment support allowance
  • Carer's Allowance - If you are caring for a child who receives the middle or higher rate of care of Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment, you may be able to claim Carer's Allowance. See GOV.UK - Carers allowance
Print entire guide

Last updated: 9 October 2017

Was this page helpful?

1 star
Very poor
3 stars
Neither good nor poor
5 stars
Very good
Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK