Contact us and making a referral

1. Contact us and making a referral

Contact us

Tel: 01296 383962

Email: cypfirstresponse@buckscc.gov.uk or secure-cypfirstresponse@buckscc.gcsx.gov.uk

When communicating with the First Response Team electronically, initials should be used in both the subject line and the body of the email. Keep details of sensitive personal data to a minimum. Where possible use secure email addresses (GCSX).

Making a referral

Referrals are assessed to check the seriousness and urgency of the concerns and whether Section 17 and/or Section 47 of the Children Act 1989 apply. We ensure the referral reaches the appropriate team for assistance in a quick and efficient manner.

Where the threshold for Children's Social Care is met, we will progress the referral and forward it to the relevant social work team.

Where concerns do not meet this threshold you will be directed to early help provision/universal services or other specialist services.

We can also provide appropriate advice and consultation directly to you as a family or as a professional when required.


2. Short Breaks

Short breaks provide opportunities for children and young people with disabilities to spend time away from their primary carers and develop their independence, and provide opportunities for their parents and carers to have a break from caring responsibilities.

Short breaks can include day, evening, overnight, weekend or holiday activities that take place in the child or young person’s own home, the home of an approved carer, a residential or community setting.

Short breaks range from supporting children and young people with disabilities to access universal services, through to providing specialist services at a local and regional level, where appropriate.

Some short breaks in Buckinghamshire support families to participate in activities/trips together.

Buckinghamshire Short Breaks Services Statement

Each Local Authority is required to publish a Short Break Services Statement as part of the requirements of the Duty to Provide Short Breaks to Carers of Disabled Children.

This statement sets out the current position so that families know which services are available, the eligibility criteria for these services, and how the range of services is designed to meet the needs of families with disabled children in their area.

It is an evolving document subject to change and that some aspects such as charges for short breaks and eligibility for short breaks may be subject to review.

More information on the range and current eligibility to short breaks

3. Available help

Other help available

  • If your child needs extra help in school or nursery, we will be able to signpost you to services to support with this.
  • An Educational Psychologist may assess your child and work with you to meet their needs in a mainstream school, a special unit attached to a mainstream school, or a specialist school.
  • If your child needs an Education, Health and Care Plan contact the Bucks SEND IAS
    • Buckinghamshire Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information, Advice and Support (Bucks SEND IAS) Service are an impartial team of advisers with expertise in supporting parents, children and young people on issues related to SEND. Independent Supporters can be available to support you with the Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) and the EHCP needs assessment. Contact them on 01296 383754 or sendias@buckscc.gov.uk.

For more information call 01296 383962 or email cypfirstresponse@buckscc.gov.uk

Pinpoint Register

Pinpoint, the Disabled Children Register, is a database aiming to capture information about children and young people with disabilities or special educational needs who live in Buckinghamshire. It helps to plan, monitor and develop services across the county. Find out about Pinpoint.

For more information call 01296 383065  or email familyinfo@buckscc.gov.uk.

4. Financial help

Children who are sick or disabled may qualify for financial benefits through the Department for Work and Pensions.

Applying for financial help can be long and complicated. We may be able to help or you could telephone the Department for Work and Pensions on any of the telephone numbers provided in the links below ask for claims forms and advice about completing them.

The benefits most commonly awarded are:

  • Disability Living Allowance (For Children) - under 16 years of age. The benefit is awarded on the basis of how much additional care your child needs, or walking difficulties your child has because of their illness or disability. It is not means tested. See GOV.UK - Disability living allowance children
  • Personal Independence Payment - for young People 16 years and over who have care needs or mobility issues. See GOV.UK - Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Employment & Support Allowance - Young people over the age of 16 years may be eligible for Employment & Support Allowance in addition to Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment. See GOV.UK - Employment support allowance
  • Carer's Allowance - If you are caring for a child who receives the middle or higher rate of care of Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment, you may be able to claim Carer's Allowance. See GOV.UK - Carers allowance

5. Local contacts and links

SEND Local Offer

The SEND Local Offer brings together a wealth of information from social care, health, education and other services about the support they are expected to offer to children and young people aged 0-25 years with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND), including those who do not have an Education, Health and Care Plan, and how to access those services.

Buckinghamshire Community Childminding Network

Provides flexible quality care for children and young people who have additional needs. They will also support teen parents up to the age of 19 years.

Telephone: 07740106986

Bucks Disability Information Network

Telephone: 01296 487 924

Buckinghamshire Family Information Service

Telephone: 01296 383065

Children's Partnership

Provides a forum for parents and interested professionals to identify and plan for the needs of children with disabilities and their families.

Telephone: 01296 387809

DIAL High Wycombe

Part of a national network of over 140 local disability information and advice services run by and for disabled people.

Telephone: 01494 442601

Parents 4 Parents

Supportive network of parents and carers of children with special needs.

Telephone: 01296 504478 or 01296 504721

The Vale Carers Social Group

Telephone: 01296 719523