Becoming an adoptive parent
5. Next steps for adoption
We recommend using our quick adoption readiness tool to help you get prepared for the next steps. It helps answer many common questions and creates a personalised plan to help you get ready to take the next step.
If you call us we will take some basic details to keep track of your enquiry but we are here to answer your questions about adopting through us. We believe that adopters need information first to make a decision whether adoption is right for their family. This means that you will be offered information before we start learning more about you. We suggest you begin by coming along to one of our information evenings and then have a chat with a social worker.
- To start, call in and ask to speak to a Social Worker on 01494 586 349 (1pm to 5.30pm Monday to Thursday; Friday 1pm to 5pm) we will book a time with you.
- If adopting still feels like the right thing for you then you can send in a Registration of Interest form. This will be given to you after speaking with a social worker. (Please note: if we decline a Registration of Interest we will always write to explain why; this may not be the end of your adoption journey)
- Adoption assessments come in two sequential parts, stage one (two months) and, if appropriate, stage two (four months)
- If we accept your Registration of Interest we will invite you in to plan stage one; there’s a lot to do in those two months, so make sure it is a good time for you. More detail on stage one is in the information pack
- Just before the end of stage one, we will meet with you and gather some information about you. We will advise you if it is appropriate to proceed to stage two or not.
Last updated: 27 July 2021