16 & 17 year olds at risk of homelessness

8/19/2020 3:28:57 PM

If you're facing homelessness

If you don't have anywhere to stay, or you're having problems at home, you can contact Buckinghamshire Council's First Response Team who will sign post to help you understand what your options are. You will then be aided in finding local support and what to expect.

If you're aged 16 or 17 the First Response Team can help you. They can give you support and find you somewhere to stay if:

  • you can't return home and have nowhere else to live
  • you’re staying with friends or another family and have been asked to leave
  • your home is unsafe for you (for example, because you're at risk of violence or abuse)


First Response Team


Further Help and Advice

Aylesbury Nightstop

Aylesbury Nightstop provide emergency accommodation to people aged 16 to 25.

Contact Youth Concern by phone on 01296 431 183 or 07470 833 500

Drop into Uptown Coffee Bar, Whitehill Lane, Aylesbury.

Or contact Aylesbury Vale local area Housing Team call 01296 585 197 (ask to be referred to Nightstop)

Connection Support

Connection Support - Provide advice, support and accommodation in Amersham, Chesham and surrounding areas, and also have a rough sleeper outreach service

Call 01296 484332


Padstones - a charity based in Buckinghamshire providing support in an accommodation setting for young people aged 16 to 25 who are vulnerable and at risk. They provide information and do presentations in schools, youth groups and other organisation on preventing homelessness.

Call 01628 660472


If you're aged 16 or 17 and having to leave home

Our local area housing associations (Aylesbury Vale, Wycombe, Chiltern and South Bucks) have teams of Housing Options Advisers who will listen to you and explain what can be done. They will arrange to see you as soon as possible. A joint assessment between our children and housing services may need to be completed. A Social Worker from the council may also be present because until you're 18 you are still legally a child.

Everything possible will be done to help prevent you being made homeless.

If you’ve been asked to leave home, we can help you return if it’s safe to do so. If you’re being evicted from a tenancy they can negotiate with the landlord to try and offer solutions.


If you're at risk at home

If you're in an abusive or violent relationship, tell someone and get help. The worst thing you can do is keep it to yourself. 

If you feel your safety is threatened call the police on 999

If you feel you are in an abusive relationship you can contact the National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247

If you want someone to talk to for emotional support you can call the Samaritans 116 123


Related documents

Summary flow chart of referral and response procedure for 16 and 17 year olds homeless or at risk of homelessness.


Was this page helpful?

Very poor
Neither good nor poor
Very good