Skip to main content

Support for Carers

Caring for carers

Over the next five years 10.6 million people will take on a new caring role for a disabled, older or seriously ill relative or friend. The contribution these unpaid carers make to the health and wellbeing of our general population is immeasurable.

However, caring without enough support in place can take its toll. Many carers find they do not have the time or energy to maintain relationships, stay in work, or look after their own health and wellbeing.

It is absolutely vital that the local authority, health and other statutory agencies recognise, support and value the contribution carers make in Buckinghamshire. Our 'Strategic Vision for Carers in Buckinghamshire: Commissioning Strategy 2016 - 2019' seeks to do this.

Carer assessments

Carers have a legal right to have their own needs assessed (the Care Act 2014). Carer Assessments are for you to discuss with social services the help you may need with caring, looking after your own health or keeping up with family, work, and other commitments - alongside your caring responsibilities.

Carer Assessments are free and confidential.

If you are a carer and feel you need support or would like to arrange a Carer Assessment either speak to the social worker assessing the person you care for or contact Carers Bucks on 0300 777 2722.

You can also visit the Carers Bucks website for more information on arranging an assessment.

Seeleys House Short Breaks Centre

Seeleys House Short Breaks Centre is a care home for adults living with a learning disability and/or physical disabilities, it provides short term respite care.

Seeleys House
Campbell Drive

Current CQC rating

Seeleys House Short Breaks Centre is regulated by the Care Quality Commission (CQC).

Seeleys House Short Breaks centre was last inspected in February 2018 and was rated as: 

Requires improvement

You can see more about the ratings and the  CQC inspection here  or read the inspection report dated 2 June 2018 here. 

The Care Quality Commission can be contacted by telephone: 03000 616161 or visit for more information.

About respite care

Respite care allows carers to take a break from their caring role. This can be for a few hours, overnight or for longer periods. Care can be provided in many ways and does not have to be in a residential setting such as Seeleys House Shorts Breaks Centre.

We can assess the kind of respite care that will work best in your situation and tell you if you can get any financial help towards the care. Alternatively we can offer you advice and you can arrange and pay for the care yourself.

For more information speak to the social worker assessing the person you care for, contact Carers Bucks on 0300 777 2722 or visit their website

Other services for carers

You can visit the Care Advice website for information on services for carers 

Was this page helpful?

1 star
Very poor
3 stars
Neither good nor poor
5 stars
Very good
Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK