Skip to main content

Living independently

If you, or someone you know, such as an elderly relative, are finding it a bit more difficult to look after themselves in their home, having trouble getting out and about, or perhaps feeling lonely or isolated, there is help and support available to them. From local social clubs, to volunteers, to equipment and carers, there are many ways to improve their situation and help them stay independent.

Who can get help from the council?

The first thing you need to do is contact us either by email or by phone 01296 383204.

You can also ask your GP or health professional to refer you. We'll then talk with you about your needs and, where appropriate, give you information and signpost you to other organisations.

We can also arrange for an assessment to identify which of your care and support needs are eligible for support from the council.

If you need an interpreter to help you access our services, we have access to interpreters in most languages, and can provide someone to support you.

Care and Support 

'Care and support' is the term used to describe the help some adults need to live as well as possible with any illness or disability they may have. It can include help with things like getting out of bed, washing, dressing, getting to work, cooking meals, eating, seeing friends, caring for families and being part of the community.

It might also include emotional support at a time of difficulty and stress or helping people who are caring for an adult family member.

Care and support includes the help given by family and friends, as well as any provided by the council or other organisations.

How does it work?

The council aims to help you in the following ways:

  • Helping you stay independent as long as possible
  • Giving you information, advice and guidance
  • Care and Support as described above

Find services and help for elderly relatives

Was this page helpful?

1 star
Very poor
3 stars
Neither good nor poor
5 stars
Very good
Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK