Apply for Local Emergency Support
If you live in Buckinghamshire, you may be able to apply for Local Emergency Support.
This is intended to cover urgent short-term emergencies (i.e. no immediate food, no heating or lighting) through the use of food banks, food vouchers, and utility meter top-ups.
Make a claim
You will be eligible for assistance if:
- there has been an unforeseeable serious emergency or crisis, and failure to give assistance will mean there is a significant risk of harm coming to you or your family
- you require help moving into, or staying in the community, and by providing assistance will eliminate the need for statutory care
If you cannot apply online, you can call us on 01296 382 414.
An out of hours service is also available by calling 0800 999 7677.
For further information about types of help available and who may or may not be eligible for support, read our Local Emergency Support leaflet (PDF).
In addition, we will look to provide assistance with essential items to individuals and families being rehomed by local authorities and partner agencies.
In cases where it is appropriate to provide goods to meet an agreed need, we will look to help in one or more ways, including providing quality, second-hand goods or services wherever possible via direct referrals to suppliers.
We will look to provide the above services through Local Emergency Support or where appropriate, referrals to other services.
For more information on support for older or vulnerable residents, visit the Care Advice Buckinghamshire website.
Universal Credit Online Money Manager
Online Money Manager is an essential tool that will help people to plan and budget for this new way of receiving their money and paying their bills. They will be able to find personalised information about bank accounts, help with setting up direct payments to landlords, budgeting and saving money on regular bills, as well as where to go for additional support if they are struggling with financial commitments.
The online service includes:
- step by step questions that signpost users to financial guidance and support relevant to their personal circumstances
- hints and tips for managing money and paying bills from a monthly payment
- signposting to further support, such as advance payments and free debt advice
Other sources of help
- Buckinghamshire Family Information Service
- Buckinghamshire Disability Service
- Free School Meals
- Shelter – The housing and homelessness charity
- Family Fund – Grants for disabled children
- The Money Advice Service
- Age UK
- Citizens Advice Bureau
- The Trussell Trust - Emergency food and support in a crisis
- One Can Trust Charity
- Vale of Aylesbury Vineyard
- Central Aid
- DWP – Budgeting Loan online applications
- P3 - people, potential, possibilities
- Aylesbury Vale local area – Financial and Debt Advice Service
- Charis Grants - Need help with utility debt, other essential priority bills or household items? Complete an online form for your supplier assistance
- Citizens Advice Aylesbury Vale
- Aylesbury Homeless Action Group
- Wycombe Homeless Connection
- Turn 2 Us - benefits calculator and grants search
- Boiler Grants - Under the Governments ECO Scheme in 2019, qualifying home owners could have their old in-efficient boilers replaced completely free of charge, or heavily subsidised