Register a death

1/13/2021 3:26:35 PM

2. Tell Us Once

When someone dies it can be a stressful and upsetting time. Details of the death need to be passed to different central and local government departments. Tell Us Once is a free service which makes things a little easier.

The Tell Us Once team will notify all participating government departments and organisations of the death. This includes council housing, adult services, income support, libraries, driver and vehicle licensing agencies and passport services. This will save you numerous calls and letters to each individual department.


How does it work?

When you register the death, we will notify the Tell Us Once Service. We will send you a letter with a reference number and instructions on how to use the service.

It is not essential to do this straight away, but it's advisable to do this within a week of receiving the instructions.

You'll need to gather the information detailed below then go online or call 0800 085 7308.

  • You'll need to answer questions relating to the organisations the deceased had contact with
  • Tell Us Once will then notify those departments and they will amend their records. 


What you will need

The information you'll need when you go online or call:

  • Tell Us Once reference number
  • Death certificate information
  • Deceased's National Insurance Number
  • Deceased's surviving husband, wife or civil partners’ National Insurance number or date of birth
  • Next of kin's name, address and telephone number
  • Information about any benefits and services the deceased may have been receiving (e.g. state pension, income support, housing benefit, library card etc)
  • Name and address of the person dealing with the deceased's estate (if different to next of kin)
  • Driving Licence (if held), or Driver Number if licence not available
  • Passport (if held) or passport number if passport not available


Participating organisations

Local Councils

(If the deceased lived in Buckinghamshire or in a participating council area)

  • Housing Benefit Office
  • Council Tax Payments and Benefits Office
  • Council Housing
  • Libraries
  • Blue Badge
  • Adult Social Care
  • Children's Services
  • Collection of payments for Council Services e.g. assisted bin collection

HM Passport Office

  • Passport Cancellation

Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency

  • Driving Licence Cancellation

Department for Work and Pensions

  • Pension, Disability and Carers Services
  • Jobcentre Plus
  • Overseas Health Team

Ministry of Defence, Service Personnel and Veterans Agency

  • War Pensions Scheme

HM Revenue and Customs

  • Personal Taxation


Further information on Tell Us Once can be found on the GOV.UK website.

Tell Us Once privacy statement


Print entire guide

Last updated: 13 January 2021

Was this page helpful?

Very poor
Neither good nor poor
Very good