Register a death
2. Tell Us Once
This service makes things a little easier when you are coping with a death.
The Tell Us Once team will notify all participating government departments and organisations of the death. This includes council housing, adult services, income support, libraries, driver and vehicle licensing agencies and passport services. This will save you numerous calls and letters to each individual department.
How does it work?
When you register the death we will register you onto the free Tell Us Once Service. We will give you a letter with a reference number and instructions on how to use the service. It is not essential to do this straight away, but it's advisable to do this within a week of making the registration.
- You'll need to answer questions relating to the organisations the deceased had contact with.
- Tell Us Once will then notify those departments and they will amend their records.
What you will need
The information you'll need when you go online or call:
- Tell Us Once reference number
- Death certificate information
- Deceased's National Insurance Number
- Deceased's surviving husband, wife or civil partners’ National Insurance Number or date of birth
- Next of kin's name. Address and telephone number
- Information about any benefits and services the deceased may have been receiving (e.g. state pension, income support, housing benefit, library card etc)
- Name and address of the person dealing with the deceased's estate (if different to next of kin)
- Driving Licence (if held), or Driver Number if licence not available
- Passport (if held) or passport number if passport not available
(If the deceased lived in Buckinghamshire or in a participating council area)
- Housing Benefit Office
- Council Tax Payments and Benefits Office
- Council Housing
- Blue Badge
- Adult Social Care
- Children's Services
- Collection of payments for Council Services e.g. assisted bin collection
- Passport Cancellation
Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
- Driving License Cancellation
Department for Work and Pensions
- Pension, Disability and Carers Services
- Jobcentre Plus
- Overseas Health Team
Ministry of Defence, Service Personnel and Veterans Agency
- War Pensions Scheme
HM Revenue and Customs
- Personal Taxation
Tell Us Once is a partnership between Buckinghamshire County Council, Aylesbury Vale District Council, Chiltern District Council, South Bucks District Council and Wycombe District Council.
Further information on Tell Us Once can be found on the GOV.UK website.
Last updated: 12 March 2019