Register a death
5. Registering a stillbirth
A stillbirth needs to be registered in the district in which it took place and within 42 days.
Stillbirths are now registered by phone, you do not need to come into one of our offices. If you need to register a stillbirth which occurred in Buckinghamshire, please telephone 01296 383005. One of our Registrars will call you to complete the registration. We will treat you with sensitivity and sympathy and do our utmost to minimise distress.
Who can register a stillbirth?
- the mother or father
- a person present at the stillbirth
We will need to know:
- the date and place of stillbirth
- the name that you have chosen for your baby
- the parents' full names
- the date and place of birth, the occupation and the home address for each parent
- date of marriage for the parents, if applicable
- A full certificate of stillbirth will also be offered to you for a small fee.
You will be given a certificate of registration. A full certificate of stillbirth will also be offered to you for a small fee.
We will send the “Green Form” to the funeral director, this authorises them to proceed with the funeral.
Last updated: 12 July 2020