Ceremony bookings terms and conditions
|Last updated:||06 April 2021|
"Data Protection Legislation"
- the Data Protection Act 1998
- the Data Protection Act 2018 to the extent that it relates to processing of Personal Data
- the General Data Protection Regulation (Regulation (EU) 2016/679),
- the Law Enforcement Directive (Directive (EU) 2016/680) and
- any applicable national implementing Laws as amended from time to time and privacy and all applicable Law about the processing of Personal Data and privacy.
"Force Majeure event"
Any event arising from, but not limited to riots, war, civil war, armed conflict, terrorist attack, governmental action, fire, flood, severe weather conditions of any sort (storm or earthquake and any disaster, i.e. a natural hazard outside human control), pandemic situation or any other act or matter, which notwithstanding the reasonable diligence and foresight of Buckinghamshire Council is beyond its reasonable control.
Buckinghamshire Registration Service
Buckinghamshire Registration Service
A party to the ceremony
2. Civil Marriage and Civil Partnership ceremony bookings
Your ceremony booking is accepted on the following conditions:
- that no legal impediment to the marriage or civil partnership exists and all legal preliminaries are completed within the statutory time limits
- that any foreign divorce/dissolution papers are accepted by the Registrar General where applicable
- that Home Office permission is granted where applicable
- that all fees falling due are paid in full upon booking (see below)
- all required documentation is presented to us prior to the ceremony date or by a deadline date given to you.
- you provide two witnesses who are over the age of 16 and fluent in English to witness the marriage or civil partnership (legally, Buckinghamshire Registration Service staff cannot act as witnesses)
3. Other ceremony bookings (naming, renewal of vows & commitment ceremonies)
Your ceremony booking is accepted on the following conditions:
- that proof that a birth or prior marriage/civil partnership have taken place is provided
- all fees falling due are paid upon booking (see below)
- these ceremonies do not confer any legal status or rights
- all required documentation is presented to Buckinghamshire Registration Service prior to the ceremony date
4. Ceremony fees
For Diamond, Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald packages, the full ceremony fee is payable at the time of booking. Your booking cannot be made without payment.
For the Pearl package, a booking fee will be taken which will convert to the cost of the ceremony on the day.
All payments include two certificates. View our information on ordering certificates.
5. Amendment fee for all ceremonies
An amendment fee is payable on each occasion that details of a booking are changed and includes changing the date, time and venue of a ceremony.
All details that are changed at the same time are only subject to one amendment fee.
Where applicable, this may require additional fees to be paid if, for example, the change in the day or time of the ceremony falls on a day or at a time which attracts a higher fee.
It may also be necessary for you to give fresh Notice of Marriage or Civil Partnership, as these are specific to your chosen venue and are only valid for one year.
If you later cancel your ceremony, these amendment fees are not refundable.
Requests for an amendment to your ceremony must be made in writing (letter or email). Please include full details of the ceremony booking (the booking reference number, date, time, venue and your full names) and the details you wish to amend.
We will only accept an amendment from one of the parties to the ceremony, not from any other person.
6. Cancellation of booking by you
In the unfortunate event that you need to cancel your ceremony you have the following rights:
- if cancelling the Diamond, Ruby, Sapphire or Emerald packages you have the right to cancel your booking within 14 days of the date of booking without giving any reason (the cancellation period).
- provided you notified us of the cancellation before the expiry of the 14 day cancellation period you will receive a full refund, including any certificate fee, subject to the following exception; if you requested the ceremony date to take place within the 14 day cancellation period you will be required to pay a cancellation fee in proportion to the costs of the services provided up until the date you communicated to us your cancellation of the booking.
Refunds for cancellation requests received after 14 days of the date of booking will be subject to the following notice periods and fees:
- more than 4 months' notice of cancellation prior to the ceremony date you will receive a refund of the ceremony fee less a cancellation fee.
- between 4 months and 3 months' notice of cancellation prior to the ceremony date you will receive a 50% refund of the ceremony fee (less the cancellation fee).
- less than 3 months' notice of cancellation prior to the ceremony date (or failure to cancel in writing) there will be no refund.
Please note if you have to cancel your booking a cancellation charge will be deducted from any monies being refunded.
If cancelling the Pearl package ceremony you may cancel the booking at any time prior to the ceremony date and receive a full refund, including any certificate fee.
To cancel your booking you must notify us in writing, by letter or email before the cancellation period (if applicable) has expired at:
Buckinghamshire Registration Service,
29 Windsor End,
Beaconsfield, HP2 9JJ
You should include the full details of the ceremony booking (the booking reference number, date, time, venue and your full names). You may use the attached model cancellation form, but it is not obligatory.
We will only accept notice of cancellation from one of the parties to the ceremony, not from any other person.
Refunds will be made back to the same card used to make payment of the ceremony fee.
7. Cancellation of booking by Buckinghamshire Registration Service
Your ceremony may be cancelled by Buckinghamshire Registration Service if the legal preliminaries have not, or cannot, be completed.
In this circumstance the refund payable is the same as that detailed in paragraph 6 above.
8. Ceremony content
We will provide staff to conduct the legal formalities of the ceremony. We encourage you to personalise the ceremony with your own choice of readings, music and additional vows – subject to the ceremony content remaining appropriate and dignified. There must be no religious content whatsoever.
All choices for readings, vows, any other spoken content by someone other than the registrars and music must be submitted to the Superintendent Registrar or Deputy Superintendent Registrar for approval prior to the ceremony. This can be done via the online 'Marriage Ceremony options form' or by returning the paper version of the form to the relevant office.
If we need you to change anything, we will aim to explain the reason why. We will solely make the final decision on any wording used and will not accept liability for any omission, which may be caused by reasons beyond our control.
9. Room capacity
For reasons of health and safety, comfort and to comply with fire regulations the number of guests must not exceed the capacity that the venue is licensed for. Additional guests over this number will be excluded from the ceremony. Please liaise with your venue to ensure that the number they are licensed for is not exceeded; this will save any disappointment on your special day.
We do not accept liability for:
- any delay or loss caused by your (or any of your guests) late or non-arrival. The registrars attending your ceremony have ceremonies to administer throughout the day and as such cannot delay the start of the pre-arranged time for the ceremony;
- any loss caused by a request from you or your representative to delay the ceremony;
- any loss or compensation where a ceremony is stopped from proceeding (or stopped from proceeding once commenced) because:
a. it would be void if it went ahead;
b. an offence under the Marriage or Civil Partnership Acts would be committed;
c. the UK Border Agency intervene;
d. it would be against the public interest; or
e. all group gatherings were banned by Parliament/The Government (i.e. in a pandemic situation);
- any loss or delay caused by a ‘Force Majeure’ event;
- the failure of any music system or failure, neglect, non-compliance or omissions caused by any venue which is not owned by Buckinghamshire Council.
We strongly recommend that you take out ceremony insurance to cover any losses or expenses incurred. We cannot recommend any particular insurance provider to you.
11. Data protection
We will use your personal information for your ceremony only and at all times in accordance with the principles set out in Data Protection Legislation, including:
- to deliver the services you request
- to allow us to communicate effectively with you
- to confirm your identity where needed to provide our services, where otherwise permitted under Data Protection Legislation
We may not be able to provide you with a product or service unless we have enough information, or your permission to use that information.
Sharing your information
We may disclose your information to others, but only where this is necessary, either to comply with our legal obligations or as permitted by Data Protection Legislation. This includes for the purpose of the prevention and/or detection of crime, or where it is necessary to allow a third party working for or acting on behalf of Buckinghamshire Council, to provide a service.
Obtaining your information
Under Data Protection Legislation you have a right to ask for and receive a copy of the information we hold about you.
To exercise this right please write to or e-mail The Freedom of Information Officer.
Walton Street Offices
More information about your rights is available on the Information Commissioner's website.
Please ensure that we have up to date contact telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for you.
With the exception of medical dogs, no animals are permitted in the ceremony rooms operated by us.
A PDF copy of these terms and conditions is available.
Download our terms and conditions PDF, 154KB