Skip to main content
One Council - Only 3 days left to give your view!

Have your say  - it only takes a minute!

Windrush Generation

If you are having any difficulties in supplying documents which prove your legal right to remain in the UK, please contact the Commonwealth Taskforce.  Freephone: 0800 678 1925 (open Monday to Saturday 9am to 5pm, Sunday 10am to 4pm) or email

Nationality Checking Service

2. Prepare your original documents

Please note that original documents must be provided as evidence; photocopies will not be accepted. We will photocopy these and return them to you at the appointment, with the exception of the Life in the UK Test Certificate. The Home Office will require the original Life in the UK test certificate, if you would like your own copy please make one prior to your appointment.

The information provided below does not replace the guidance notes provided by UK Visas & Immigration. In addition to the following documents there may be other criteria you may need to meet based on your personal circumstances, application and/or status.

Confirmation of your residence in the United Kingdom

Passport (including expired passport) or travel document. Only original passports or travel documents will be accepted for checking and they must cover the whole qualifying period of five years or three years. If you do not have a passport or travel document that covers your entire qualifying period you will need to supply alternative evidence of residence and identification such as:

  • P60's
  • Wage/Salary Statements
  • Inland Revenue statement of account
  • Tax assessment forms (self-employed)
  • Benefits details (unemployed)

These must cover the entire five or three year qualifying period.

Confirmation of your settled status in the United Kingdom

This will be the stamp inside your passport, the Biometric residence permit, or the document Certifying Permanent Residence, which gave you Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK, the Right of Abode or Permanent Residence in the UK.

If you are applying for citizenship based on the five year residence requirement, you must have been settled for at least one year immediately prior to making your application.  If you are applying based on the three year residence requirement this rule does not apply.

Knowledge of Language and Life in the United Kingdom

If you applying for naturalisation you will need to prove knowledge of Life in the UK as well as your English language ability, and provide documented evidence of this with your application.  For more information

Print entire guide

Last updated: 6 March 2017

Help us to improve Buckinghamshire County Council

Don't include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.