Skip to main content
One Council - Only 2 days left to give your view!

Have your say  - it only takes a minute!

Civil weddings

4. Changes to your passport

There are many things to organise when you are getting married, but don't forget to notify the passport authorities if you are changing your name. Due to the recent increases in security measures, you may no longer travel in your maiden name and have your passport in your married name, or travel in your married name and have your passport in your maiden name.

It is not sufficient to take your marriage certificate as a form of identification when you check-in.  So if you have recently married, but have not yet changed your name in your passport, please ensure that any flight booking is also made in your maiden name.

You can change your passport details at any time up to three months before the ceremony, although you will not be able to use your passport until the actual day of your wedding. To do this you will need to apply to the Passport Office for a new standard UK passport. Alternatively, the Passport Office will amend your existing passport to show your future married name.

The form PD2 'Passports for Newly Weds and Civil Partners' is available from Post Offices or can be downloaded from The Passport Office. Once you have given your notice of marriage or civil partnership, you can complete the form and bring it to the registration office which is conducting your ceremony.  The PD2 form has to be completed by the Superintendent Registrar. Our staff will inform you when to return and collect it or we can post it to you if you provide a stamped, addressed envelope.  The completed form should then be sent to the Passport Office, together with the application for a passport or amendment to your passport.

There is a charge for this service - please visit our fees page for details.

Remember, if you are going abroad on honeymoon, book any travel tickets in the name you will have in your passport at the time of travelling.

Print entire guide

Last updated: 11 April 2018

Help us to improve Buckinghamshire County Council

Don't include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.