Skip to main content
One Council - Only 3 days left to give your view!

Have your say  - it only takes a minute!

Civil partnerships

5. Giving notice of civil partnership

To give notice of civil partnership, you will need to make an appointment at the register office in the district in which you live. If you live in Buckinghamshire please call either Aylesbury area on 01296 382481 or Beaconsfield area on 01494 475092.

If you live outside Buckinghamshire and would like details of your local office, you can find this on-line or via your local Council.


You will each pay a non-refundable booking fee when reserving the date and time of your appointment. Once you attend, the booking fee will be transferred across to pay for your ‘Notice’ in full. You can change the date or time of your appointment up until one week beforehand.

Any changes within one week of your appointment are subject to an amendment fee. If you cancel your appointment at any time or do not attend your appointment, you will lose your booking fee and will have to pay again.

What we need to know

When you give notice, the Registrar will ask questions about you and your partner. You and your partner will be asked for information including your full names and addresses, date of birth, occupation and nationality.

We will ask you about your previous marital status.  We will also need to know the name of the venue for your forthcoming civil partnership.

Documents you need to provide

It is very important that you bring the following documents with you when you give notice.

These need to be provided for each partner and must be originals rather than photocopies. This is a legal requirement.

Failure to provide these documents may result in your notice not being taken and the loss of your fee. If you are in any doubt about which documents to bring, please contact us for advice.

Proof of identity

  • Valid UK passport 


British Citizens only:

  • Full birth certificate (with parents’ names) plus one other form of ID such as a driving licence showing your current name.  If you were born after 1 January 1983 you also need evidence showing the British nationality of your parents.

Non British Citizens only:

  • A valid EEA passport/ID card/Home Office travel document.


Proof of address

You will need one of the following for each partner:

  • Utility bill - not older than three months.
  • Bank/Building Society statement - not older than one month (on line statements will need to be stamped by the branch).
  • Most recent Council Tax bill.
  • Valid UK driving licence showing your current address.
  • Letter signed by someone who is able to confirm your place and period of residence and proof that the person lives there.

Proof that you are free to marry, if applicable

If either of you has been married or formed a civil partnership before, you will need documents to show that your last relationship has legally ended.

  • Original decree absolute or dissolution with court stamp, with English translation if applicable.


  • Death certificate and possibly marriage or civil partnershipcertificate linking your names.

Proof of any other names used, if applicable

  • Deed Poll or Change of Name Deed

Consent Form

If you are under the age of 18, please ring us.


You and your partner must have lived in England or Wales for nine days - one day travelling, seven days residency, we can then take notice on the ninth day. It does not matter if either of you then moves to a different address after you have given notice.

Once you have given notice the soonest you can form your partnership is after 28 days and the notice is valid for one year. 

Foreign Nationals

If you are not a British or EEA citizen, please get in contact with us.

Print entire guide

Last updated: 16 January 2017

Help us to improve Buckinghamshire County Council

Don't include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.