Skip to main content

Civil partnerships

2. Foreign nationals

This information is for people who are subject to immigration control and would like to marry or have a civil partnership in the UK.

You need to:

  • hold entry clearance as a fiancé/e, partner or marriage visitor, or
  • be a person with settled status in the UK (e.g. indefinite leave to remain), or
  • hold a Home Office certificate of approval

If you are subject to immigration control, you need to give notice to marry or have a civil partnership in a designated register office. You must attend the register office together.

For detailed information about this, visit the Home Office's Immigration and Nationality website, or contact your local register office who will advise you of the location of designated register offices.

Print entire guide

Last updated: 16 January 2017

Help us to improve Buckinghamshire County Council

Don't include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.