Skip to main content
One Council - Only 4 days left to give your view!

Have your say  - it only takes a minute!

Change of name deed service

4. Who should I tell about my name change?

When you change your name you must tell everyone who holds a record of your details. If you fail to do so you may be committing fraud.

If you need to renew your passport, it is advisable to do this first. Your passport can be used as evidence of your name change for most other organisations, instead of your Change of Name Deed.

Organisations or people you should contact typically include:

  • Current employer, and former employers where you have a pension
  • Pension providers
  • school / college / university
  • Landlord
  • HM Passport Office — to renew your passport
  • DVLA — to update your driving licence and your vehicle registration certificate (V5C)
  • HMRC (Inland Revenue) — to update your income tax, tax credits, National Insurance,
  • Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) — for certain benefits, such as Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Child Benefit Office , if you’ve changed either you or your child’s name, and you’re claiming Child Benefit
  • GP (who will update your NHS records for you)
  • Dentist
  • Any other healthcare professionals or clinics you go to
  • Local council — for matters such as council tax, housing benefit and social services
  • Electoral registration office at your local council
  • Utility companies (water, electricity, gas)
  • Telephone company
  • Mobile telephone company
  • Internet Service Provider (ISP)
  • TV Licensing — to update your TV Licence
  • Banks / building society / credit card companies
  • Mortgage provider
  • Student Loans Company
  • Child Trust Fund account provider
  • National Savings & Investments , for example if you hold Premium Bonds
  • Insurance companies (e.g. car, medical, life, household, endowments, buildings)
  • Motoring organisations, e.g. AA, RAC



Print entire guide

Last updated: 21 May 2018

Help us to improve Buckinghamshire County Council

Don't include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.