Skip to main content

Change of name deed service

1. What is a Change of Name Deed (Deed Poll) document?

In the UK anyone may change their name if they want to.

If you change your name you will be asked to provide an official document of proof from any of the below:

  • Passport agencies
  • Banks and building societies

If you change your name through Buckinghamshire Registration Service you will be provided with a document which will help evidence your change of name.

You will have to sign and date your Change of Name Deed, and it also needs to be witnessed.

Important information  

A Change of Name Deed does not replace a birth certificate.  For all official purposes the Change of Name document would need to accompany a birth certificate i.e. for obtaining a passport in the newly adopted name. In addition, please note different organisations may have their own internal policies as to what evidence they require for a change of name. Buckinghamshire Registration Service cannot confirm whether an organisation’s policy may require further proof of a Change of Name.

If you wish to put your new name on public record you will have to enrol it at the Royal Courts of Justice and complete different government forms, information on how to do this can be found online on


What can I change my name to?

You can officially change any part or your entire name.

For example, you can:

  • Change your Forenames, Surname (or both)
  • Add names
  • Remove names
  • Change the spelling of your names

You can change your name as often as you want, at any time and for any reason, provided it is not for deceptive or fraudulent purposes.

When deciding on your chosen name, the new name must not be rude or offensive, neither can it be used to create the impression of an inherited or awarded title such as Sir, Lord, Lady, Duke or Duchess, His/ Her Royal Highness etc. nor be chosen with the intent to defraud, it cannot include symbols or numbers.

Print entire guide

Last updated: 21 May 2018

Help us to improve Buckinghamshire County Council

Don't include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.