Dementia Awareness Week 17-23 May
Led by the Alzheimer’s Society, Dementia Action Week is a national event that sees the public coming together to take action to improve the lives of people and families living with dementia.
Buckinghamshire Libraries maintain a collection of adult and children's books which support people with dementia and their carers by raising awareness and increasing understanding of the condition.
The books in this collection can be reserved both online and in any of our libraries. We also have eBooks free to borrow from home.
Lots of library staff have already been trained as Dementia Friends and where local communities have been signed up as Dementia Friendly Towns the library is playing its part too.
As libraries are refurbished we are making adjustments to better suit the needs of people with dementia. This short video shows how Aylesbury Library has adapted.
And coming soon Memory Bags – to generate conversations between those living with dementia, their families and carers. Each bag contains some books, activities, a CD or DVD and pictures on a theme. The one featured below is “In the garden”. These will be available to borrow free of charge from any library.
The Reminiscence Collection - borrow objects to aid memories
The Reminiscence Collection can help families and carers to remember the past and share experiences. Items are available to anybody with a library card and are suitable for a wide range of uses. From giant board games to suitcases of memorabilia to activities to encourage use of fine motor skills the reminiscence collection is a very special resource available to you to borrow for free with your library card.
The collection includes:
- Board and card games to stimulate mind and memory
- Activities to encourage use of fine motor skills
- Table-top/chair games designed for people with mobility difficulties.
- Tactile and visual activities particularly suitable for people with dementia or learning difficulties
- Photos and scrapbooks of different time periods
- DVDs on every year from 1931—1989
- Suitcases of historical memorabilia: The 1930s, The 1950s, World War 2 and the Victorians