| Home | Latest news | Site Map | Search | FAQ | Website accessibility | Customer complaints | Terms and Conditions | Website Feedback Form | Access Keys |
Skip to content

Apply for a blue badge

Apply for a blue badge

This scheme offers national on-street parking concessions for severely disabled people. Blue badge holders don't need to be the driver of the vehicle to use the badge.

Who is eligible for a blue badge?Diasbled4blue

You automatically qualify for a blue badge if you're over 2 years old and:

  • are registered blind (not partially sighted)
  • are receiving a War Pensioner’s Mobility supplement
  • are receiving the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance

You'll also automatically qualify if you've received a lump sum benefit from the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces Compensation Scheme (within tariff levels 1-8). You must also have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking.

If you don't automatically qualify we'll assess you using guidelines from the Department for Transport. You may need to go for an independent mobility assessment done by an occupational therapist or physiotherapist.

Anyone over 2 years old may be eligible for a Blue Badge, if they either:

  • have a permanent and substantial disability which means they cannot walk, or makes walking very difficult
  • drive a motor vehicle regularly and have a severe disability in both arms, making it very difficult or impossible to operate parking meters

Rules for children under 3 years old

If you’re a parent of a child who is younger than 3, you may also apply for a Blue Badge.

Your child must have a specific medical condition which means that they either:

  • must always be accompanied by bulky medical equipment which cannot be carried around without great difficulty
  • need to be kept near a vehicle at all times to get treatment for a condition when necessary

You can check whether you are likely to be eligible on Directgov.

How to apply

Complete the Blue Badge application form on the Directgov website. You will need (where relevant):

  • National Insurance Number 
  • Driving license number 
  • Expiry date of Higher Rate Mobility Allowance or War Pension
  • Details of your doctor and any specialists you see 
  • Details of any medication you take including the dosage

Make a note of the tracking reference number. You can upload a photo online (passport photo rules apply) and pay online.

Once you've completed the application, send us copies of the following documents and quote your tracking reference number:

  • Proof of address
  • Proof of identity
  • Other supporting documentation requested during the application (proof of HRM, War Pension etc.)
  • £10 cheque or postal order made payable to Buckinghamshire County Council
  • 1 recent photo (if not submitted online)

Current timescales for the processing of Blue Badges:

  • Online Applications 3 weeks from receipt of all documentation, including payment.
  • Postal/Paper Applications 6 weeks from receipt off all documentation, including payment.

Check the progress of your application online (using your tracking reference number)

If you're making a renewal application we recommend applying 4 weeks before the expiry date on your current badge. We process all applications, with the exception of critically ill applicants, in the order that they are received.

You don't need to contact your doctor, we'll contact them doctor directly if we need to. 

Advice for Blue Badge Holders using Wycombe District Council car parks

Wycombe District Council has implemented Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) systems in many of their car parks. This works by means of cameras recording the registration number as the vehicle enters and exits the car park. 

A correctly displayed Blue Badge allows a motorist to park free of charge in one of Wycombe District Council’s Pay and Display car parks, but the cameras used in ANPR car parks are not able to recognise a badge in a car.

So that they may continue to offer free parking to Blue Badge holders, they have set up a scheme whereby a badge holder may register their disabled badge, and continue to enjoy free parking in a WDC car park.

Once your blue badge has been registered with WDC they will provide you with a ‘bar-coded card‘ which is about the size of a credit card. It is recommended that this is kept with the blue badge itself to be on hand when required.

For more information regarding registration of blue badges in ANPR car parks, please contact Wycombe District Council on 01494 461000 or visit their website.

Organisational blue badge

These can be issued to organisations with responsibility for the continuous care of 6 or more disabled people who meet the qualifying criteria for the personal blue badge.

Organisations with less than 6 qualifying individuals are advised to help individual clients apply for their own blue badges.

To apply for an organisational Blue Badge, complete the Blue Badge application form on the Directgov website and select that you are applying for your organisation.

They can only be issued for use in vehicles taxed under the disabled passenger vehicle (DPV) taxation class.

Lost or stolen badges

You'll need to contact us for a replacement badge. You can download the form below or call us and we'll send you a form. You will need to include a crime number or a lost property number from your local police station, a new replacement photograph and a specimen signature.

Using a Blue Badge

In England, Blue Badge holders can generally park:

  • on single or double yellow lines for up to 3 hours, unless there's a ban on loading or unloading
  • at 'on-street' parking meters and pay-and-display machines for free and for as long as you need
  • in disabled parking bays

Report fraud or misuse

We are committed to tackling Blue Badge misuse. Any information will be treated with the strictest confidence.

Contact details

Blue Badge Team
BCC Council Offices
Easton Street
High Wycombe
HP11 1NH

Email bbt@buckscc.gov.uk 
Call 01296 382902

Is there anything wrong with this page?