Claim for damage
You can make a claim for damage to yourself, your vehicle or property if the council was legally liable for damage caused on roads we maintain.
You will need to fill in a claims incident form.
To make a claim you will need:
- Exact details of the incident (location, time, weather)
- Insurance policy details for your vehicle
- Photographs of the cause of accident and damage (if safe to do so)
- Vehicle documents if claiming for damage to a vehicle - V5 registration (log book), MOT certificate
If relevant, you may also need to provide:
- Witness details
- Police incident reference number
- Vehicle details including mileage
- Invoices for repairs
- Receipts for tyre damage
It takes approximately 20 minutes to make a claim.
If you are claiming for more than one incident you will need to submit a separate claim form for each.
Please think carefully before making a claim against the council. Your claim will only be successful if the Council can be proven to be negligent.
There may be occasions where we are not automatically liable for damage to property or injury and in those instances, your claim will be re-directed to a Third Party such as a Utility Company, Private Land Owner or approved Contractor who may be responsible for carrying out works at the time of your incident.