County show welcome is more than a throw-away line...
12 August 2013
A living room made up of other people’s throw-away furniture and household goods will welcome visitors to Buckinghamshire County Council’s marquee at the County Show on Thursday (August 29).
They’ll be able to sit on re-used sofas for a cup of tea, even buy the furniture there and then, and take it home with them.
It’s all part of the County Council’s drive to get residents thinking about what they do with their old furniture and household equipment.
All the items on show come from the two ‘re-use’ charity shops run by South Bucks Hospice and FCC Environment at Buckinghamshire’s Household Waste and Recycling Centres.
Recycling and re-use is just one focus of the County Council’s marquee, which aims to showcase its numerous services.
Transport for Buckinghamshire will be there to show the range of its work, including the 'We're Working On It' programme of investment in the county's roads, to the tune of £28 million over the next two years.
County Councillors will be on hand at times through the day to talk to residents and answer questions.
County Council Chairman Carl Etholen said: ‘'The county council touches the lives of every one of nearly half a million residents in Buckinghamshire. Meeting many of them at the County Show and hearing what they have to say is very important to us.’
Also in the marquee will be:
• A demonstration and tasting of healthy school dinners
• Children’s activities courtesy of Bucks Family Information Service, who will also talk about the way they support families.
• A video booth, allowing visitors to capture videos and photos which will later be featured on the Council’s YouTube, Facebook and Twitter.
• The Resilience Team’s model house illustrating hazards in the home and how to lower the risks.
• Thames Valley Police promoting its community messaging alert system for residents, to help detect and prevent crime.
• The Green Park Outdoors climbing wall, for the more energetic.
• A mobile library parked nearby in which visitors will be welcome to browse.
Bucks County Show takes place at Weedon Park showground, just off the A413 Buckingham Road, between Aylesbury and Whitchurch, on Thursday August 29.