Disabled persons' car badges

Disabled persons' car badges

This scheme offers national on-street parking concessions for severely disabled people. Blue badge holders do not need to be the driver of the vehicle to use the badge.


The Department for Transport guidelines state you automatically qualify for a blue badge if you're over 2 years old and:

  • are registered blind (not partially sighted)
  • are receiving a War Pensioner’s Mobility supplement
  • are receiving the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance

You'll also automatically qualify if you've received a lump sum benefit from the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces Compensation Scheme (within tariff levels 1-8). You must also have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking.

If you don't automatically qualify we'll assess you and decide whether you can have a Blue Badge based on guidelines from the Department for Transport. You may be asked to go to an independent mobility assessment done by an occupational therapist or physiotherapist.

Anyone over 2 years old may be eligible for a Blue Badge, if they either:

  • have a permanent and substantial disability which means they cannot walk, or makes walking very difficult
  • drive a motor vehicle regularly and have a severe disability in both arms, making it very difficult or impossible to operate parking meters

Special rules for children under 3 years old

If you’re a parent of a child who is younger than 3, you may also apply for a Blue Badge.

Your child must have a specific medical condition which means that they either:

  • must always be accompanied by bulky medical equipment which cannot be carried around without great difficulty
  • need to be kept near a vehicle at all times to get treatment for a condition when necessary

You can check whether you are likely to be eligible for a Blue Badge on the Directgov website before making an application.

How to apply

Complete the Blue Badge application form on the Directgov website. The application needs to be completed in full whether the applicant has previously held a Blue Badge or is applying for the first time. To complete the form you'll need (where relevant):

  • National Insurance Number 
  • Driving license number 
  • Expiry date of Higher Rate Mobility Allowance or War Pension
  • Details of your doctor and any specialists you see 
  • Details of any medication you take including the dosage

Please make a note of the tracking reference number. You can upload a photo online (passport photo rules apply) and pay online.

Once you've completed the application, please send us the following documents and quote your tracking reference number.  Please do not send original documents:

  • Proof of address, as stated in the application
  • Proof of identity, as stated in the application
  • Other supporting documentation requested during the application (proof of HRM, War Pension etc.)
  • £10 cheque or postal order made payable to Buckinghamshire County Council
  • 1 recent photo (if not submitted online)

Please allow 2-4 weeks for your badge to be issued.

Check the progress of your application online (using your tracking reference number)

If you're making a renewal application we recommend applying 4 weeks before the expiry date on your current badge. We process all applications, with the exception of critically ill applicants, in the order that they are received.

You don't need to contact your doctor, we'll contact them doctor directly if we need to. 

Organisational blue badge

These can be issued to organisations with responsibility for the continuous care of 6 or more disabled people who meet the qualifying criteria for the personal blue badge.

Organisations with less than 6 qualifying individuals are advised to help individual clients apply for their own blue badges.

To apply for an organisational Blue Badge, complete the Blue Badge application form on the Directgov website and select that you are applying for your organisation.

They can only be issued for use in vehicles taxed under the disabled passenger vehicle (DPV) taxation class. Once you've completed the application form you'll need to send a photocopy of the road tax disc to the Blue Badge Team (details below).

Lost or stolen badges

You'll need to contact us for a replacement badge. You can download the form below or call us and we'll send you a form. You will need to include a crime number or a lost property number from your local police station, a new replacement photograph and a specimen signature.

Using a Blue Badge

In England, Blue Badge holders may generally park:

  • on single or double yellow lines for up to three hours, unless there is a ban on loading or unloading 
  • at 'on-street' parking meters and pay-and-display machines for free and for as long as they need to 
  • in disabled parking bays

Report fraud or misuse

We are committed to tackling blue badge misuse. Any information will be treated with the strictest confidence.

Contact details

Blue Badge
Buckinghamshire County Council
Willow Lodge
Campbell Drive