Running a childcare business

Running a childcare business

Some childcare providers can provide the flexible free entitlement (FFE) for children aged three and four. They may also provide childcare facilities to support parents who work. Providers delivering FFE and childcare include day nurseries, pre-schools playgroups and accredited childminders.

All those who care for children under eight years old for more than fourteen days per year and two hours per day, must be registered with the Office for Standards in Education (Ofsted ).

Providers wishing to join Buckinghamshire’s FFE Directory must confirm with the Early Years and Childcare Service (EYCS) their intention to apply to the Directory. EYCS will contact the provider and arrange to visit and discuss the provider’s application.

Starting up

Find out about the requirements of childcare and FFE. Contact our Flexible Free Entitlement Funding Officer to discuss on 01296 383705.

Research existing provision in the area to see whether there is a need or demand for further services. Details of existing provision can be obtained from Buckinghamshire Family Information Service (BFIS) on 0845 688 4944.

Check out premises and find out what planning permissions may be required.

Register with Ofsted - contact our Early Years Registration & Inspection Officer for more information on 0845 688 4944 for information and application packs.

Create a business/project plan including financial projections for at least three years and apply for funding if appropriate. See the related files below for a template business plan.

We can provide ongoing advice and guidance to providers of nursery education and childcare relating to business and financial management, marketing and publicity, meeting legislative requirements eg Health & Safety, employment law, and providing quality provision.